Hey Hey! Im Sarita!!!
Dearest Film Diary Friends!
Black film along with black actors and actresses are becoming increasingly popular, let me tell you! We are on the rise! We have come along way from being depicted as thieves or the help. More and more of us are writing, producing, directing, and acting our own work and I think it’s about damn time we talk about it! My blog is to celebrate, educate, and elevate our black film stars who are making away for future black stars! I’ll also include in this blog upcoming festivals, events, movies, comedians, a little black history, award shows and anything else you want to see in black film! I feel it is important to see others paving way for people like me who also want to leave a mark, not only in the Entertainment business but Black Entertainment. So if you love film, especially black film, feel free to follow my blog for weekly updates! Prepare to be Entertained Diary Friends!
Dear Diary Friends,
What's News in Black Film?
Hidden Figures to Release Christmas 2016!
Directed by Theodore Melfi, Hidden Figures is set to release on January 6th but will now get a limited release on December 25. This Oscar considered film features Taraji P. Hensen, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monáe as three women — Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson — who were actively helped NASA astronaut John Glenn into space in 1962. If you don't know who these lovely ladies are, you may know Hensen as "Cookie" in the popular current series "Empire." Spencer maybe best known for her Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress as Minnie in "The Help." Monae is a Grammy nominated musical artist popular for her style and dazzling flash is pushing into the acting game in this movie! I will be sure to keep you posted on this movie that you HAVE to go see!
What did I tell you DFs, move over slave movies and enter the innovators; and they're black women at that!
New PSA: Against the Wall, Police Brutality
Directed by Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz, "Against the Wall" was released by Civil Rights activist Harry Belafante featuring top stars, Michael B Jordan, Michael K. Williams, and Danny Glover on the constant killings of black people in America from police officers. The video is shot in black and white and has these various actors with their hands up against a wall. You begin to hear different audio from cops speaking to the dispatcher calling the "suspects" "up to no good" and "looks like a bad dude." You also hear audio from upset citizens telling officers "if you are white, racist, and working in a black community, you ought to be ashamed of yourself." Explosions of gunshots ring out and the words "Black is not a weapon" appears across the screen as Williams is seen laying on the ground, palms down. This short but powerful video hit the social media like a wave. Watch "Against the Wall" below, courtesy of Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/186282598
In Theaters this Month!
Birth of a Nation
So.....I love Kevin Hart and I am more of a fan of the movie actor Kevin Hart, but I really enjoyed "What Now," and I thought the presentation was definitely a step up from his other tours. I went and watched it at one of the popular AMC Dine in Theaters which made the show a bit more enjoyable. I've never really enjoyed Harts comedy performances. The long drawn out stories he tries to incorporate in his humor is just too over exaggerated to the point where you're like "REALLLYYYY?" (low key insider haha!). I liked the fact that he didn't over do it this time and didn't leave me with a "it was okay" vibe, but I genuinely enjoyed it and hope to see him live one day on his next tour.
RYAN COOGLER AND BLACK PANTHER: Black Directors Making Waves
(Courtesy of Cnn.money.com)
Known for his first Feature length film in 2013 with "Fruitvale Station," and recently the Rocky movie spinoff "Creed", Coogler is making waves. Now, he is preparing to direct the Marvel movie Black Panther. For some of you fellow comic geeks, there's no need to explain who Black Panther is, but, let's fill it in anyway:
Black Panther (real name T'Challa) is heir to the African Kingdom, Wakanda. He is the first black super hero in mainstream American comics. He gets his powers and superhuman abilities from a heart shaped herb he was entitled to eat.
Now, Coogler is directing this fabulous movie equipped with an all black cast! And that includes Chadwick Boseman AS Black Panther, Michael B Jordan, and Lupita Nyong'o. Black Panther is set to debut July 2018. Whoo! We got a ways to go!
DID YOU KNOW?
The first interracial kiss to be seen on network television was on an episode of the sci-fi drama, Star Trek in 1968. The scene was a romantic moment between African-American actress Nichelle Nichols and white Canadian actor William Shatner.
UPCOMING BLACK FILM FESTIVALS
American Black Film Festival
June 14th-18th
Location: Miami Beach
Passes and Entries Start: November 1. 2016
Hollywood Black Film Festival
February 22nd-26th 2017
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS
San Diego Black Film Festival
February 1st-5th 2017
San Diego, CA
The Pan African Film Festival
February 9th-20th 2017
Los Angeles, CA
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
OCTOBER 31ST
LIL JJ
Comedian/Actor....most famous for his show Just Jordan and All That
ABOUT THE BLOGGER
So, just a tad about me! I'm Sarita Walker, as you can see I love film especially black movies, but I am def not limited! I have a Bachelors in Communications & Technology and I currently work as a Copywriter (those nice little fun descriptions you see). I've owned a diary since I was 12 and my nickname is Princess. I decided to dedicate this blog to other Film Friends and you get a look inside of Film and What I like and possibly what you like! If you like what you see, def follow my blog and other social media accounts below! Stay tuned cuz we are just getting started!
- I love Fast Cars and own a Ford Mustang Gt
- I have a pet Ball Python named ET
- Just up and moved from Bay Area Cali to Phoenix Arizona
- I have over 30+ Diaries
- I've written my own Full Length Movie Script Bruce Pope
- Currently in the process of writing a novel-Look our for that ;-)
- My favorite Superhero is Captain America
- I love the color orange even though I don't own anything orange
- Favorite flowers are Sunflowers
Follow Me:
IMDB Page (Movie Reviews and Ratings)
Facebook
Copyright
Information on this website may be copied for personal use only. No part of this website may be reproduced, stored, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning, or otherwise, except as permitted under Section 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act, without the prior written permission of the author. Requests to the author and publisher for permission should be addressed to the following email: princessdiaries213@gmail.com
Privacy Statement
This blog does not share personal information about blog visitors with any third parties. We do not collect information about your visit to this blog for any purposes other than analysis of content performance through the use of “cookies.” You can turn off the use of cookies any time in your browser’s setting. This policy is subject to change without notice.






















Love the site... Keep it up, and very much lit!!
ReplyDeleteAww thanks for the comment homie...still a work in progress but gettin there...thanks for following :-)
Delete